Monday, May 10, 2010

East New York: The Light Under the El





How many of you remember Joseph Von Sternberg's films? I do, though I haven't seen one in many years. I vaguely remember that Marlene Dietrich was in those films. To me, the light was the star. Sternberg's light made every earthly setting into some etherial Middle Eastern fantasy.

As I walked under The El, recently, on East New York's Fulton Street, I found myself seeing Joseph Von Sternberg's lighting before my eyes.




Joseph Von Sternberg's Light
Digital Photograph
May, 2010





Dominican Flag
Digital photograph
May, 2010


My compatriots in East New York are very fond of their flag. This one is of a type I'd never seen before; the central shield overlaps the red and blue fields, rather than remain neatly ensconced within the center of the white cross, as in the traditional design.




Fulton Street Under the El
Digital Photograph
May, 2010



No comments:

Post a Comment